Is it Time to Rewire Your House? Hire an Electrician
One of the top causes of home electrical fires is wiring problems. These problems cause destruction to property and in the worst cases, lives. In some cases, rewiring a house is an important part of home maintenance. As the years in your home grow, so does your electrical use. You need to upgrade your wiring to keep up with that demand. Hire an electrician to rewire your house to avoid costly and fatal issues.
Hiring an electrician to do the job for you is a no-brainer if you want to make sure the home rewiring is done correctly with all of the most up-to-date techniques and tools. A professional will spot the potential problems before they become disasters. You can rest easy knowing your home’s electrical systems are safe and efficient and you won’t have to deal with any unexpected outages or fires.
If you are on the fence about rewiring, keep your eyes open for the following signs that it’s time to consider rewiring a home.
- Your home is older. Old houses have a lot of charm, but they also have outdated wiring that has been being used for years. Any home older than 40 years old could use an electrical overhaul.
- Your home is new. Everything in your new home is unknown when you buy new. If you just purchased a new home, have an electrician take a look behind the walls to make sure everything is as safe and efficient as it could be.
- You don’t have enough outlets to suit your lifestyle. If you have extension cords and outlet extenders that you are using more than occasionally, you need an upgrade to your electrical wiring. The increasing need for electronic devices has been the cause for many upgrades. May older homes need an upgrade to keep up with today’s electrical needs.
- You blow fuses and trip breakers regularly. This is a clear sign your wiring is struggling to keep up with your needs. Furthermore, this constant on/off flow of power is not good for your computers and other devices. Get this checked sooner rather than later!
- You’ve recently updated several electrical products in your home. If you just replaced all the appliances in your kitchen, it may be time to also replace some of the old wiring that is keeping them running. Your electrical system is suddenly being tasked with extra work. Make sure your wiring can handle it.
- Your electrical panel is overamped. Home inspectors are often on the lookout for this small, common mistake made by amateur electricians. It’s a small fix if you know what you’re doing.
- Your lights are flickering. This is a sign of a loose connection or a weak circuit somewhere in the wiring. If you notice it happening more and more often, it will likely eventually go out completely.
- Your bulbs blow pretty often. Much like blown fuses, this is a sign that your wiring is not strong enough to handle your electrical needs.
- You hear sizzling or smell burning. This is an obvious sign of serious trouble. Call an electrician right away to find the problem. If there’s smoke, call a fire company. Electrical fires might not always smell the way you’d think you smell — keep a nose out for a slightly fishy odor that can be a sign of fire.
- You have witnessed sparks flying when you plug or unplug a cord from an outlet. Again, this is a sign of a serious problem. It does not take long for sparks to lead to a fire. Call an electrician ASAP.
- You have broken or outdated fixtures and covers. While old fixtures have a lot more personality than their newer counterparts, they also aren’t as safe. Many new safety regulations have made those old fixtures obsolete. You can probably keep the fixtures you love, but if you want to keep them in proper order, you should have an electrician check their wiring.
- You’ve been shocked while plugging in or unplugging a cord. This may seem like a small inconvenience for a grown-up, but even a small jolt could seriously injure children or pets.
- Your home has aluminum wiring instead of copper. Copper wiring is more expensive for a reason. It’s the safer, longer-lasting option. Aluminum wiring causes more upkeep and maintenance because it breaks easier.
Rewiring a House by a Professional
Hiring a professional electrician takes the worry out of rewiring a house and upgrades in your home or business. Afton Electric specializes in residential and commercial electric work, including electrical wiring, custom electrical projects, home automation, new construction, and commercial electrical installation in Spring Branch, New Braunfels and Comal County. Contact us today for an estimate on your electrical project.